Jail & Prison Ministry
We know that unless the moral and spiritual character of a prisoner is changed during incarceration, the likelihood is good that they will re-enter "the system."
Inside the doors of each correctional facility we serve, our volunteers offer weekly visitation and mentoring services, helping prepare the inmate for release.
St. Vincent de Paul's Jail & Prison Ministry volunteers provide a wide range of services, to those released, including:
- Document procurement
- Transitional housing
- Substance abuse counseling
- Anger management counseling
- Organized job skill training
- And more
The Diocesan Council or Orlando's Jail & Prison Ministry gives incarcerated individuals the opportunity to experience the healing power of God in their lives prior to release.
Working in conjunction with the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, we are an approved organization providing physical and spiritual assistance to those in need.
According to experts, only 17 percent of inmates who are involved with prison ministry end up back in prison. That recidivism jumps up to 65 percent for inmates who are not involved with prison ministry. The Diocesan Council of Orlando's Jail & Prison Ministry is a meaningful example of systemic change as we strive to help people succeed upon re-entry into society.
Who We Serve
We are currently serving three facilities:
- Polk County Correctional Institution (Polk City)
- 33rd Street Correctional Facility (Orlando)
- Lake County Detention Center (Tavares)
As our ministry continues to grow, we will expand our reach and provide services to other facilities in nearby counties.
Ways You Can Help
- To volunteer with the Jail & Prison Ministry, please call 407.814.3869
- To donate items (especially men's shoes and clothing) to our Thrift Stores in Apopka and Clermont, please call 877.439.7837.
- To make an online financial contribution, please go to www.svdporlando.org.
Checks may be mailed to: 770 S. Orange Blossom Trail · Apopka, FL 32703
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul is a registered 501© (3) and all donations are tax deductible.
We appreciate your time and generosity!